Tuesday, November 29, 2011

photos from the amazon

Hello friends!  I'm back in Quito after a month-long field trip to eastern Ecuador's Amazon.  We stayed the entire month at the Tiputini Biodiversity Station (TBS).  I saw some of the most amazing, rare things in the world, but I sadly don't have photos of most of it.  Here are some good ones I did get:


giant strangler fig tree  these parasitic trees literally strangle their host...so there's a smaller tree that used to be inside that huge one
golden orb spider
painted grasshopper
José, my favorite guide, and a spiny palm
you can't touch caterpillars in the amazon...
tree frog

a pygmy marmoset, one of 10 monkey species found at TBS
a classic emergent tree, the ceiba

the scariest of all Amazon's creatures!
toad
caterpillar
helicopter beetle
TBS canopy walkway
way up there in the canopy
beautiful moths eating minerals on the riverbank
seining for fish in the Tiputini River
ants harvesting wax bugs (that white stuff)
huge wasp building a nest right by our cabins...great
super mega bat, a fruitivorous bat
a naked man hanging from the tree!
nope, just a 3-toed sloth
anaconda
hello mr. spider monkey
another pygmy marmoset
pretty fungi

sweat bees!  crawling all over me because i was stinky
canopy tower...some great views and birds up here
black-headed parrot from the canopy tower
swamped canoe at the lake
common piping guan from the canopy tower
leaf cutter ants
champagne fungi

I followed Amy, a primatologist at TBS, for a few hours one morning.  I was supposed to help her with a playback experiment with titi monkeys: we were planning to play the calls from another troop and record the response of the troop we were following.  Unfortunately, the troop we were following responded to a nearby troop's calls before we could run the experiment.  We couldn't follow through because we would have no way of knowing if the titis were responding to our playback or the calls of the other calling troop.

titi monkeys calling that morning...that's amy recording the calls, ellen and eushavia look on

It's good to be back with my host family in Quito.  I'm trying to stay busy and active so I don't get bored.  I have one more test and a presentation, but other than that study abroad is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment