Saturday, September 17, 2011

fun in quito


Spanish class ended on Wednesday, and I have already started to enjoy Quito more.  On Thursday, I went to a salsa class with a few chicas.  We all get $50 from BU for "cultural experiences" so we will probably get 12 classes for $50.  Hooray for "free" salsa lessons!

Awesomeness is beginning!

Last night I went out to Plaza Foch with the rest of the kids from my program.  It's been hard to coordinate social things, and I feel as though it's leading to some tension because the group mentality reigns supreme.  We went to a great club and danced the night away.  Here's one exchange I had on the dance floor with an Ecuadorian:

ecua man: how old are you?
me: 20
ecua man: are you married?
me: no *scoff*
ecua man: you're going to leave here married!
me: haha. yeah. right.
...a little later...
same ecua man: i think im in love with you
me: hhaha yeah right, i think i'll go dance with my friends now!

heh heh....

Today, I went to a fútbol game in Quito with Alison, Eushavia, and Tommy.  We met Diego from Houston who comes to Quito for work every two weeks.  We watched the game with him and his family, and had a great time!  They were all hysterical and very happy to have us join in the fun.  And we got some jerseys and refreshments too!

Me and Alison in our new jerseys.

Diego's video of cheering fans


The teams tied, and we headed to T.G.I. Friday's after the game for a "celebratory" beer.  I had to peace out a bit early because there was another celebration going on at my house...


I arrived to a house full of family!  Everyone was there to celebrate Orlando's birthday, so I took advantage of it and snapped a bunch of photos...


Me and my host family!

Juancho and Valentina, the youngest of the family.

Eventually, the Aguardiente was opened and was finished shortly after.  The dancing began, and someone bought another bottle...

Maria Elena and Orlando break it down.

Diego and Patricia; and Daniel and Paula


Mario and Juancho duel

Valentina, que preciosa!

Orlando and Vale

Orlando showing me how it's done

weeeeee this is sooo great!  Mario and Vale

Mágica!

Carmen Elena and Juancho

We danced salsa, reggae, cumbia, etc.

que chistoso!




No comments:

Post a Comment